Volvo 145 and 245 Tailgates over the Years
I own a Volvo 1973 145, and a 1991 245. I have also owned Volvo wagons made in 1971, 1972, 1976 and 1983.
Last Updated: 03/29/2016
Parts Group: Hatch
It’s interesting to me how little the tailgate has changed (which to me means: has needed to change) over the years.
It will be interesting to me to learn in which years the various aspects changed to a more modern design.
- A big modernizing-look style change occurred when the shapely chrome handle such as on my 145 was replaced by a square, matt black handle such as on my late-model 245.
- I recently analyzed a 1983 245, and discovered that its shapely chrome tailgate handle looks the same as on my 1973 145.
- The tailgate hinges, on the other hand, were still chrome until at least 1991, and quite possibly after that too. I have yet to analyze a 1993 car, to make sure.
- The tailgate struts and attachment parts seem to be identical through 1991.
- The lock and wiper mechanisms, however, are different on the 1983 vs. 1991 cars.
- The 1983 car has its washer fluid nozzle on the side of the body; the 1989 and 1991 cars that I analyzed has them at the top center, with a hose running along the top of the tailgate lip to feed the fluid to the nozzle.